Disaster Assistance for Individuals

There are two types of disaster assistance available:

  • Disaster Relief Grants: Administered by the NSW State Government via the Office of Emergency Management.
  • Disaster Recovery Payment: a one-off payment administered by the Commonwealth Government.

Disaster Relief Grants

You might be eligible for a Disaster Relief Grant (pdf) if your home or essential contents have been damaged by a natural disaster.

To apply call Disaster Welfare Services: 1800 018 444.

Disaster Recovery Payment

This is a one-off Commonwealth Government payment, which is not means tested.

A Natural Disaster Declaration does not automatically trigger the Commonwealth Disaster Recovery Payment which is determined by the Federal Attorney-General's Department.

To apply call 180 22 66 or go to Disaster Assist.