Tip: prepare the home
Encourage clients to maintain their homes to reduce the impact of an emergency. Some things they can do to prepare their homes, perhaps with help from friends and family, are:
- Trim overhanging tree branches and remove leaf litter.
- Clean gutters and downpipes.
- Secure or store loose items outside.
- Check roof is in good repair.
- Do a home safety audit and check smoke alarms.
- Check building and contents insurancee are current.
The NSW Rural Fire Service's AIDER program is a free, one off service for people who need help to prepare their homes. If your client lives in a bushfire-prone area and has limited domestic support available from family, friends or services, AIDER might be able to help.