Rescue arrangements in NSW
Rescue services in NSW are based on a network of 'accredited' rescue units located throughout the State. The rescue network is managed by the Board through an accreditation process. Rescue units are broadly grouped into two areas based on the environment in which they operate:
- Land Rescue Units or
- Maritime Rescue Units.
The Board's principles for accreditation of rescue resources within New South Wales are:
- the threat and rescue needs of the community to be serviced are balanced to ensure that the rescue resources are matched to the rescue requirement in each area;
- that within the Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong City areas, the accreditation of full time services units is to have priority over volunteer services; and
- that rescue units continue to accept Police responsibility for control and coordination of rescue incidents.
Rescue providers in NSW
Rescue units in NSW are predominantly provided by the following organisations:
- NSW Police
- Ambulance Service of NSW
- Fire and Rescue NSW
- NSW State Emergency Service
- NSW Volunteer Rescue Association Incorporated
- Marine Rescue NSW
Land Rescue Units
Accredited land rescue resources are categorised as either:
- General Land Rescue Units
- Specialist Rescue Units.
General Land Rescue Unit
A rescue unit trained and equipped to handle a broad range of rescue tasks in their designated area of responsibility.
A rescue unit trained and equipped for a particular task or specialised capability for example vertical, caves, confined space, diving, swift water or flood rescue operations.
Marine Rescue Units
Marine Rescue Units (MRU)
are those units that are specifically trained, manned and equipped to carry out
marine rescue operations. MRU are equipped with rescue vessels which have been
accredited to respond within a specified rescue operational area, on a 24 hour,
seven days a week basis.
|Summary of Accredited Marine Rescue Units - As at November 2011|
|PDF File 254.8 kb||View File Now||Download File Now|
|Summary of Accredited Land Rescue Units - As at January 2012|
|PDF File 289.6 kb||View File Now||Download File Now|