In some emergencies the safest action is to stay inside, but in other circumstances it can be safer to leave a building or evacuate an entire area. The appropriate action depends on the particular hazard causing the emergency. Consult the relevant information and action guides and follow advice from emergency authorities.
If you leave
If you have time before you leave, you should:
- Turn off power, gas, water; lock doors and windows.
- Take your home emergency kit with you.
- Listen for emergency warnings and safety advice on radio or television. Pay special attention if you hear the Standard Emergency Warning Signal (SEWS).
- If you decide or are advised to evacuate the area, leave as early
as possible - even hours before, in the case of bushfires. More
information on whether you should Stay or Go if bushfire threatens your
- Allow for special needs of infants, the aged and people with
- Don't forget your pets' needs.
- Have your car under cover, with a full fuel tank and plan for alternative safe routes.