Distress is an understandable and normal response to trauma. As the impact of a major incident, such as a flood or other severe weather, continues to become evident, so may the persistent feelings of isolation, distress, anxiety and, in some cases, depression. If you think you or someone you know needs assistance to cope with these or any other symptoms you should contact your regular GP or local Mental Health Service.
- State Mental Health Telephone Access Line- 1800 011 511, press "Option 1" to be transferred to your nearest Community Mental Health Drug & Alcohol Service
- NSW Rural Mental Health Support Line - 1800 201 123, support and referral
- Lifeline - 13 11 14, confidential telephone counselling
- MensLine Australia - 1300 789 978, confidential telephone counselling for men
- Kids Helpline - 1800 551 800, telephone counselling
- Beyondblue - 1300 22 4636, information and referral line
More information on Mental Health Information and Support Services.