Get ready NSW
Disasters happen - don't think if, think when
At some stage, all of us will be impacted by disasters such as Fire, Flood or Storm. Disasters are unpredictable and can cause devastating loss and damage.
NSW Emergency Services agencies do a tremendous job in keeping us safe - but we all need to play our part.
Preparing for disasters helps you and your family cope and make better decisions when an emergency affects you. It is better to be safe than sorry.
Don't wait till it's too late - get ready now. It's easy and only takes five simple steps to make sure you and your family are ready.
Know your risk
Think about the area you live in and the types of disasters that could happen. Are you and your family at risk?
To find out more - go to NSW Emergency Services agencies:
Plan for what you will do
Sit down and talk with your family and plan for what you will do if a disaster affects your area.
Make important decisions like when to leave, what to take, and what to do with pets and animals. Don't leave it until the last minute.
Disasters can happen with little or no warning. How will you and your family get to a safe place? You could be separated from each other. How will you contact each other? Think about how you will protect your pets, important documents and personal mementos.
Plan how you will escape a fire in your home and practise it with your family.
Get your home ready
Prepare your home by doing general home maintenance and checking your insurance
- Trim overhanging trees and branches, and remove dead and dry vegetation from around the house
- Clean out gutters and downpipes
- Secure or put away loose items in your yard or balcony
- Check the roof is in good repair
- Do a home safety audit and check your smoke alarms are working
- And make sure that your home and contents insurance is up to date
Know where to go for information on how to prepare and what to do if there is a disaster in your area
The best way to keep up to date is to visit NSW Emergency Services websites:
- Bushfire - NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) www.rfs.nsw.gov.au
- Flood, Storm and Tsunami - NSW State Emergency Service (NSW SES) www.ses.nsw.gov.au
- House Fire - Fire and Rescue NSW www.fire.nsw.gov.au
Look out for each other
Share information with your family, friends, neighbours and those who may need assistance.
Talk about your plans with family, friends and neighbours before an emergency happens.
Neighbours can help each other in many ways and can include people in your street or community.